Friday, February 09, 2007

The return of Slippers

Wednesday night at bedtime when I was sitting with my grandson, we heard meowing. I asked my daughter if it was our cat, Simon, who I could see across the hall in her room. It was not Simon. We all ran downstairs to see where the meowing was coming from. I opened the front door and there was Slippers, the missing cat with her face in the window looking in. When I opened the door she drew back and I was afraid she would run, having been out there for 18 days, she looked a little freaked out. So we coaxed her in by standing back and rattling the food bag, saying her name. She ran in at the sound of the food bag. Much rejoicing followed. It was amazing to have her just show up after being missing for going on three weeks in the coldest part of winter. She was skinny, and we imagined that her fat had kept her alive, literally. She is declawed and has always been a house cat. We still have no idea how she got out, except that she must have slipped out the door without being noticed. She has lost all of her body fat, and we estimate she lost about 3 or 4 pounds.

Our spirits have been lifted. In a time when we have not had much good news, it renewed our faith in the idea that good things can and do happen every day. We still look at her in amazement because we were beginning to think we would never see her again. It is a happy story to tell. And we need more happy stories right now.

I won't officially weigh in until tomorrow but it is not looking good - I know I have not lost, I just hope I have not gained any more than the two pounds I gained in the past two weeks.

Today I am scared straight about my eating. I thought I'd take off that little gain and move forward but instead I have done nothing really in the effort to lose. In fact, I have been eating more in the evening which a path to my demise. I need to confront this behavior now. My menu planning will include meals for me, when what the kids are having involves pasta or something else that is not on my safe list. I have been slacking and the evidence is in.

I will remain accountable and record my weight tomorrow. For today, I am drinking lots of water and sticking to a plan.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori G. said...

Oh how wonderful about the cat!!!

I had felt so badly for you all and the cat.

About the food. I've been eating not so hot myself -- more WARM things or comfort food and I wonder how much of it is me, my mental state or if the damn cold has something to do with it.

Right now I'm going to make some tea to see if that will fill that cold spot in my body instead of other things. I know and trust you will get back on track.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

I have been drinking a lot of tea too - with fresh lemon. Like every time I wander through the kitchen - that's what I grab. I also have been heating my drinking water and squeezing in fresh lemon. HOT things help my GI track a LOT.

I have been really relying on my frozen one serving bags of beans and rice in the freezer. And my flash frozen fruit and veggies.
Still grilling once or twice a week on GF and so meat is always ready.

I have been making quick soups for myself -
1 cup broth (add water if needed)
one serving of rice or beans
2 cups frozen veggies
chopped meat
very quick, hot, filling.

I still make a crock pot full of oatmeal once a week.

I could eat the same breakfast (oatmeal, fruit/cottage cheese, meat),

the same lunch (soup)

and the same dinner - meat, sweet potato or squash, cooked veggies

all winter and not complain.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

Such great news about your cat!!!

I love a happy ending.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So happy Slippers got home safely. The poor thing -- sounds like she went on a crash diet too.

Hope that things start being a little less difficult. This is a tough time of year to keep the motivation going.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home