Monday, January 22, 2007

Grandma Ronni

Grandma Ronni is my Grandson's other grandmother, his mother's mother. She and had a bond that people have through loving and caring for a child together. Early in his life, his mother became unable to care for him as a result of drug addiction. There were some dark years of neglect and abuse but Ronni and I were able to have him with us much of the time and get him compeletly out of there and into her home where he has been for at least the past 6 years. She and I shared the day to day joys and trials of raising kids. We talked regularly. And we became friends or like family. She was strong person, somewhat of a character, but she fiercely watched over my Granson and doted over him. He changed her life in a positive way and she his.

I got the phone call right after lunch Friday. In fact I was just getting ready to get out of my car and go up to my office. It was one of her sisters, and at first she just said Anthony was okay, but she had bad news. Then she told me of how he had tried to wake her after oversleeping (she always got him up for school) and how he could not wake her and called his mother. Thank goodness he was able to get her on the phone and she told him to call 911. I can't imagine what he went through just with all of that. They lived together just the two of them. He had to wait for help to come, he had to wait for family to come. When I got there he and his Mom were clinging to each other and sobbing and the men in suits were there to take her away. Those men who work in funeral homes are really something. They are so soothing. And they seem to know just what to do and say. They are the calm guidance that we need when we can't think at all.

After he was able to say his goodbye I took him home with me and he is here still. The custody/guardianship will pass to me after whatever legalities take place. Ronni was not in poor health as far as we knew. No one was expecting this but there was an understanding out there that if something happened to her, Anthony would be with me. We are so very sad over losing her. And shocked and undergoing huge changes. I never had much help with single parenting Haley but I am going to make sure I call upon Anthony's other relatives in his time of need. Ronni had 7 brothers and sisters. And I am already aquainted with the one who has taken care of getting all of his belongings over here. They had also lost a brother in law last week but managed to take care of getting his stuff over here before getting to that funeral yesterday.

I am real happy to have my grandson now. I know it will be a huge impact though, two kids and he in his pre teens and she in her teens. But we have always been very close with him and he has spent much time with us here at the house and going on trips and outings all of his life. So the transition to living with us has many pleasant aspects to it. But it is an adjustment. There is such a huge range of feelings here.

I have much to accomplish in the next few days. I cannot do it alone and I won't even try.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have personal family experience with kids loosing a parent (and that is what the dear sweet lady was to him) at a young age - and I am so sorry this has happened to you all. What a loss for you all and what a shock!

no matter how well he SEEMS like he is doing - he needs to go to a therapist NOW - see if you have an Erin's House or other organization for grieving children in your area and take him immediately. Your daughter might need to go too.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cindy, I have been thinking about you and your grandson a lot. You do have a lot to handle but it sounds like everyone is there to support your grandson through this. And I hope you have some support for YOU. Please take care of yourself as well. I will continue to think of you.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was alone with my mother when she died. I was twelve. I feel so much for your grandson and you I can't even find the words. Than-you for taking him in. You will be blessed for this act for the rest of your life. It will be a life saver for him. God be with all of you.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home