Saturday, January 27, 2007

Milestone

I just discovered that I have recently moved from being "obese" to "overweight" according to the body mass index. This is a major milestone that I used to calculate way back when I weighed 200 pounds. It looked like some far off star, lightyears away. It was something I had little faith I could attain. And here I am. I stopped calculating, projecting, and contemplating, and here I am. Of course, I stopped overeating on a regular basis, too. I am amazed at this. It just seems to have happened, without me even thinking about it.

I have not been paying much attention to things like the BMI calculator. And this past week I have not been paying attention to my body much at all. But it is surreal to me that I lost this 19 pounds since July, on top of the 10 I lost the year before for a grand total of 29 pounds lost since January of 05, when I was at my highest weight on record. I never thought I could, I had given up completely. But I gave it a shot, a day at a time, not giving up, starting over, again and again, eating less, eating better food, planning ahead, taking chances, making a steady effort over time, and here I am. I am at my halfway point from 2005. I think I can do this now. No matter what, I think I will keep on losing, maybe slowly, but steadily over time. It feels really good. I am at peace, somehow, with myself today.

Anyway, I had to share that because it just dawned on me while reading AFG that I ought to calculate my BMI, and there it was, I had finally crossed over the imaginary line between obese and overweight. Thanks to an old copy of Oprah that my daughter brought home in a stack from a garage sale with an article about Passing For Thin, I got a spark of hope that grew. It grew by finding the Kuffel blog and the Angry Fat Girlz blog, and all the other blogs I found from there. I am more than amazed. And very very grateful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

congrats!!!!!!!!!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Lori G. said...

Yea for you! It's been a tough period of time for you and I really admire how you have been handling it. You really are a wonderful person and it's too bad we can't meet each other in real life (and I mean all of us).

I was so happy to read that on AFG about your BMI as I know that made you feel great about your choices.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

thanks for the link - interesting to read - I took it to mean that we loose EVENLY from all over our body - so the fat-est areas will end up larger in the end - because they still only loose their proportional amount - is that what you understood? And can loose on food alone, exercise alone, or both combined - purely a numbers game - ??? I did loose with only intake the last time - and did loose proportionally from every where - but NO TONE - which was pretty awful. At the time I was just happy to be smaller - but not so happy that I understood that I needed to stick with it. . .

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home