Monday, December 11, 2006

Blue Funk

I did not lose anything last week, but I did not gain. Glad for that. It has been a moody several days. And I do not feel like I am coping that well. My daughter is having trouble with things like being ready in the morning, turning assignments in on time, and other things revolving around taking care of daily responsibilities. I feel overwhelmed at work and at home right now. I have aches and pains in my neck and shoulders everytime I work at the office. My new laptop is waiting at the Fedex and I am not even excited. I wish I could climb out of this funky feeling but it's not happening yet. I guess right now my happiness is too dependent on other people's behavior. I used to eat over this stuff but right now I am not. I saw some old friends Friday night and found out that a couple of people I knew had recently died. They were acquaintences but I had known one of them over a long period of time. It added to my seriousness, and my pondering of the meaning of life,or maybe just the meaning of my life. I did not realize it until this year but I get depression around the beginning of December. I remember from last year. I usually have something to blame it on, some current event but I think there is a yearly undercurrent. Well, there is a difference this year. I am not overeating and to that extent it I may be even more aware of it, since food is a comfort at times. Like when people give up drinking or drugs, they have to feel everything they avoided feeling. Maybe that is what I am doing now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

I have two quilter friends - one is in her 60's and the other in her 70's that both figured out about 10 years ago that they have the deprived sunlight thing. They were kind of crashing each December and not doing very well until spring.

They BOTH got those special light things and it made a huge difference.

So, if you think that is a possibility (rather than the holidays) - it is something to consider.

Is your daughter watching TV on a school night?

When we have "readiness" problems - that is what we do - No TV on a night when there is school the next day.

Most psychologists (I think) recommend that kids NEVER watch TV on school night.

Other things I have found helpful -LIST on back door to check off before exiting.

TIMERS - for example - when in shower in morning - if that is eating up too much of her time. The kids set it for 5-9 minutes depending on time it takes to rinse shampoo (length of hair).

Tricks like timers and lists take the responsibility/nagging off YOU and put it on THEM.

I know one mother that charges for any lost items or extra trips that her five kids inflict on her. So, if they miss the bus and she has to take them - $5 charge. Forgot homework and mom has to bring it to school - $5. LAst minute/late night (mom has to type) emergency because of poor planning - $5.

she has 5 kids - when they were all unorganized - her life was hell. $5 got everyone's attention and respect of her time.

Is you daughter laying out clothes, packing backpack the night before? I have one kid that MUST do night before - other kids are fine in morning.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Lori G. said...

Cindy, I don't have kids but I can relate to the overwhelmed part and the blah part too.

Two things stick out from your post; you're not eating over it and you being aware of your feelings. Those are very good things.

All you can do is take care of yourself, your daughter and do the best you can do with work. (It's too bad that we all have the end of the year stuff associated with work AND the holidays. It makes it more stressful.)

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home