Thursday, December 21, 2006

Being True

The office food parties are in full force. Everyday from different areas comes the smell of an assortment of goodies. From the aroma barbeque sauce (those little smokies that I love)to the sweetness of cakes and pies, the call of food is everywhere. So far, I have avoided all but a few grapes and three blue tortilla chips the other day. I just don't go there. We don't have those pot lucks here in the legal department, we go out. We all go to one nice lunch together, and its over. Nice for me because I order one reasonable meal, eat, leave the restaurant and the temptation stops.

Yesterday I was asked to participate in a neighboring department's festivities for today. Luckily, someone asked if I wanted to go in a on a carrot cake that she would pick up. That keeps me out of the food preparation realm. I am glad to contribute financially, I just don't want to handle the food. so the cake is here, and there's a cubicle filling with foods for lunch. I am sure there will be food that I can eat safely. I already saw the veggie platter.

What I decided for the Christmas holidays is that I will enjoy the treats of Christmas on Christmas, and not before and after like years past. In those years, the eating started weeks before and continued until New Year's. This year I have a few things I will enjoy, traditional favorites, if I feel like it on Christmas. But as for these pre-holiday indulgences, I decided to continue to try and lose weight up to the day of the actual holiday and then maintain on that day. I am being true to my goal, and true to myself. I have had temptations and this morning I was thinking, what would it hurt to have something today? But the thought came quickly that I would not be true to myself if I did that. I just can't betray myself anymore with food. The lie does not work anymore.

I am glad of that. I don't feel deprived. The only thing I am deprived of by not indulging, is weight gain. And I want to deprive myself of that. I want to be deprived of body fat.

I like this attitude. If I can enjoy the holidays with this new outlook, I will have a much brighter new year!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think eating moderate amounts of what you WANT of THE day - is a great idea.

My mom called a couple weeks back and said she was in the mood to bake - but didn't want to make trouble.

I said fine - please bake

2 doz muffins for the teachers' breakfast,

2 doz frosted sugar cookies for girlscouts,

small amount for my kids - divide it into 3 equal bags, mark the name and the #'s in each bag.

So that is exactly what she did.

She volunteers (tutoring reading) on thursday's - so she brought the girls home from school just now.

They arrived with 3 more baggies - each containing 4 very small pieces of fudge - perfect amounts for each of them - that will get eaten and not be laying around.

What is SO interesting is that my dad was a compulsive over eater and she NEVER figured that out - thought he had a will power problem - but with ME - suddenly - she totally gets it.

Those baggies don't bother me any more than the Cheerios (still on the top shelf in the pantry) and other odds and ends - that I sort of know are there - but avoid direct eye contact with them . . .

I hope you have a great holiday season. I WILL BE HERE - still posting each day on my blog.

My Brother in Law is here for a week - but we always stay home for the holidays - ever since we had the first baby - we made a pact that we would always stay HOME.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas Cindy.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Cindy. I think your strategy sounds sensible and should serve you well. :)

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home