Monday, December 18, 2006

Attitude Adjustment

I need to stop and adjust my attitude this morning. A bad attitude = overeating for me. I had a good weekend, and this morning I finally saw the first peek of 179 on the scale. 179.8 to be exact but it was still 179. That's a milestone for me since I have not been in the 170's for six years if I remember correctly. I put my workload completely out of my mind over the weekend so I would not feel stressed. And I felt better than I have in a while. I got out and walked, and I went to gym. So, its all good, right? All good until I got to the office, and read several new e-mails with contracts to review. All needed right away. I started to implode and then I found myself getting an attitude about another project that showed up last week for me and the other paralegal.

It does not do any good to resent work. That's what I get paid for, that's why I have a good job. Each project is a blessing in that it keeps me gainfully employed another day. Each project finances my lifestyle, and will guarantee that I can pay off the new laptop in the next year. So, I am taking a gratitude break. And giving thanks for all the work that is coming my way. Hurray for work!

Six months ago I was struggling with being able to go even one day without overeating. Now I have been able to eat less on a daily basis, give or take some days in between, and lose 15 pounds in six months. And not gain it back. That's a blessing, a miraculous event. In fact, I get full now on less food. I think of food less, and I feel more and more that I am no longer struggling minute by minute to not take the next compulsive bite. Yes, there are still challenges but it’s not nearly as bad as it was. I trust more each day that food is no longer my enemy. I no longer hate myself for what I ate the day before when I wake up in the morning. I don't have regrets when I go to bed at night (well, at least not about food, anyway).

I want to stay focused in the moment today, on each small task that builds into the completion of a project. Mindfulness. Once, a summer ago, I read up on Buddhist mediation, and I practiced some of it for a few days and found I could concentrate better. Clearing my mind, and paying attention to one thing at a time will be a lifesaver for me. And I will be more pleasant to be around, too.

So that's the goal of the day, staying tuned in to the moment and the task at hand. Here is just a little bit of my morning reading from Food For Thought (www.hazelden.org -thought for the day page):

Our program requires concentration. It is not something that we may consider casually in odd bits of leftover time. Since abstinence is the most important thing in our lives, we devote our best energies to maintaining it. Many of us find that time spent concentrating on our program at the beginning of the day is most fruitful.

So, I am restarting the day, after taking time to concentrate on my new way of living. And today, I am going to pause when I get that feeling of stress, that feeling of being overwhelmed BEFORE it turns into cravings for food or compulsive thoughts or resentments. I will pause and regain my composure, give thanks, practice forgiveness, clear my mind, and adjust my attitude before it gets out of control.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your weight loss. I enjoyed reading your acceptance of food and not feeling the need to overeat, mostly how much easier it is getting to not.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home