Sunday, July 27, 2008

Perspective and Salsa Dip

I looked at my postings and my weight recordings a year ago. I was experiencing an appetite increase and was dancing around the scale like I am now, only twenty pounds heavier. That does put things in perspective. I am still feeling puffed up. I am still struggling with cravings, but less. I have discovered a nice little easy dip to make for veggies. I add light mayo to salsa and it gives it a creamier character. I just now thought about adding yogurt to it. That might be even better. I am munching cucumber dipped in my salsa dip right now.

The gain I experienced is not hopping right back down like my little gains in the past. So I am getting more drastic and using more tools by the day. I went to the gym yesterday. I have not been doing gym on the weekends. I did it to get away from watermelon. It worked. I cleaned in my room last night which made me feel good and kept me out of the kitchen. I am eating less but the scale is holding steady so I am hanging tight and being patient until it passes. I am not over analyzing or trying to find out what magical thing happened or needs to happen. It is probably a combination of many things. The answer is simple. Eat less. Drink more water and keep exercising.

I also need to avoid negative thinking. I find myself looking in the mirror and having distorted ideas about my body again. That must be a mental illness in and of itself. So I am avoiding the whole mirror thing as much as possible. My clothes fit fine. This is not a huge deal, but it is a moment of struggle and I am facing it with all the methods I have used these past couple of years.

My vacation is less than a week away. We leave Friday evening for the San Fransisco Bay area. On my 50th birthday I am going to a spa, courtesy of my sister. I will get an 80 minute full body deep tissue massage - never have I ever had one of those. I will get an hour long pedicure and also something called hydrotherapy. My sister will meet me for lunch and the pedicure. What a special birthday. I have never been to a spa. Ever. Such luxuries are not in my budget. The day after we arrive my oldest brother will come and stay overnight Saturday. We will celebrate my birthday with him early. How wonderful is that? I want to be noticeably skinnier and I am. I don't want to sabotage myself with nervous nibbling, and I won't.

A good thing about staying at my sister's is that they eat healthy. And the focus is not on food. It is easier to lose weight going there than to gain. I like that. We do things that involve walking and hiking. And the meals are healthy. There are things to be done in advance and my days are numbered to get them finished but I refuse to stress. Today I am going to pay bills, fill out the forms for the kids to start school, and drag out the luggage. One nice thing is we can start packing now because the clothes we will wear there are long pants, and warmer clothes, long sleeves, hoodies, etc. The temperatures are mild and sometimes chilly especially at the beach. So we are not wearing those clothes here in the Midwest swelter of July. We can pack them now and not miss them.

I have to admit I feel a little stressed thinking of what needs to be done. But I found someone to keep the dog who lives not too far so I don't have to drive 4 hours round trip to take him to my parents. I also asked neighbor man to water the flowers and he said he would do it in the morning when he does his own. Those were my two main worries besides getting to the airport and I have a friend who will do that, too.

I am going to make a list after I finish this blog. I have a half day off Thursday and all day Friday before we go to the airport at 3 p.m. That 's nice. But I have school things to do also, a parent meeting Thursday night and taking daughter to pick up her schedule on Thursday afternoon. It's exciting. I want to just be excited instead of stressed. We will have fun out there. It will be a nice time.

So off I go to make a to do list. Just finished my cucumbers and going to refill my water bottle.

7 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

Here is a thought:
My asthma/allergest used to have a note in my file that said - "this happens every July" and when I would call and say "I don't know what is wrong with me - I feel like I have elephants standing on my chest and like I am going to die - but my nose isn't running and I am not wheezing" - he would read me the line and then say - do your enhaller two puffs several times a day - even though you don't think you are having asthma attacks - and take all your other allergy meds. We never figured it out - but we just treated it and I was careful to stay in air conditioning. I am starting to wonder if appetite increases and weird eating is sort of the same kind of thing.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

It might also be a reaction to the up coming changes - even though they are happy changes - they are still out of the "normal".

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I agree. Sometimes I don't acknowledge stress - mentally, but my body apparently does. I am still hanging in there. Doing my water, exercise, fiber. Trying to minimize any extra eating. I was a pound down today and don't feel as bloated.....

10:30 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Wow, what fun you will have!! SF plus beautiful spa day and BIRTHDAY celebration!! Whoooo hooo...I have so many Leo friends...Birthday Season is starting. :-)

That salsa dip thing sounds good...I'll have to try it...if I can manage to get any salsa before DB eats it all! ;-)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Laura N said...

Happy birthday early! Your trip sounds wonderul. I've been to SF, with DH and we stayed at his niece's apartment in Burlingame. You will love it. Such a gorgeous place. Hope you have plans to visit Carmel, and if you do, go to the Boar's Head for lunch--if you are a Clint Eastwood fan (which we are). We loved the beach at Carmel. Just hung around there all day, b/c DH wasn't into the shops which is pretty much all Carmel is. And are you going to drive the 17 mile drive around Pebble Beach? That is an event not to miss. There is a point on the drive where opposite ocean currents meet--and it is breathtaking. OH I'm so jealous of your trip!!! You completely deserve it. AND you are getting to go in a brand new skinny body. How wonderful. Of course, I'm sure your sister will be a great tour guide.

I hope you love your spa visit. Massages are the best. Good luck getting all packed.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Packing will be fun, all my "skinny" pants & tops that I have invested $$ in during the winter and spring will get put to use. really getting psyched. The excitement is curbing my appetite!!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Laura N said...

Cindy, I listed the wrong restaurant in my comment the other day. It's The Hog's Breath Inn.

http://www.hogsbreathinn.net/

DH had on the T-shirt we bought there the other night and I realized I got the name wrong. I just looked at their menu, though, and it looks pretty pub-ish/unhealthy! You might want to skip it. =)

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home