Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Positive Wednesday Thoughts




My yoga mat is in the car. I told everyone that they will be preparing dinner on yoga day every week. I told them they could make the tortellini. I think they can handle it. I am having my 1 and 1/2 hour yoga tonight. I earned it. I need it. It's important to me. I missed last week and feel like I might be behind the class, but I can do it. I did great the first class. I will have help if I need it.

I made it through yesterday. I had so much running around to do in the evening that I did not get a chance to overeat. I did have some things I don't normally have, but in small amounts. I think that satisfied the salt and sweet cravings. Today I feel OK. I feel stable. Yesterday I went to the gym before I ate lunch. I had a 30 minute cardio workout. I ate lunch later than normal since I had eaten more in the morning. That pushed afternoon snack to later, too which was helpful. I honestly think I would have eaten too much in the evening if I had not been so busy. I did not have time to prepare a meal or eat it. I took grandson for eye doctor and glasses immediately after getting home. It took a long time. I walked across the street and got a diet soda at a diner after sitting and waiting a while. Then we had to go pick up daughter, and then I went to Man friend's to help with taxes. After all that it was bed time. No time for food.

Now, in the past, I'd have grabbed fast food, maybe that giant jalapeno burger I've been craving. But I don't regard fast food as an option today. There were plenty of things I could have eaten - apple carmel home made pie at that diner, but I didn't. So yesterday turned out to be a successful day as far as I'm concerned. Not perfect but far better than it could have been. And much better than the old days.

Having things to do is a good defense against overeating. Gardening is just around the corner. In fact, I can start picking out my plants now. I am leery of planting yet because we have been having some cold nights. But I can get ready. Just thinking about my garden makes me feel good. I may go shopping around, looking and researching what to plant. That's a relaxing activity. I can also plan and plot what will go where. And start reading my gardening books. More relaxation. I love to page through gardening books and magazines.

For now I have to work, but I'm glad I took a few minutes to remember gardening. I have been so busy and mainly focused on other people's needs that I was starting to get that overwhelmed feeling and a slight twinge of resentment. Now I can stop, remember, and look forward to my time in the garden.

I think everyone needs a "garden" to think about. It doesn't have to be an actual garden, just something that makes them feel good. Some activity, reading, watching TV or a good movie, painting, you name it, whatever makes them have that delicious feeling of satisfaction. Something that uplifts their mood when they think about it. Something they can plan for and look forward to. For today, if I start having any negative feelings I am going to think about my garden.

What's your garden?

4 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

"What is my garden" has me stumped. I think that is part of my problem. I need some stuff to make me happy other than food. I am going to try to find a garden to think about.

I am so jealous about the yoga I could spit. I am planning what I will plant in my new yard once the snow melts...in July. This was a good post.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Laura N said...

Good for you for having a good day in the face of busyness and adversity. And enjoy your yoga class tonight. I wish I was with you!

I need a "garden." Right now I read, but that's not really enough. I've just got nothing left most nights after the kids are in bed so I've let the fun stuff, like scrapbooking, go. I suppose running is my garden right now, and it is more than I used to allow myself to have. When my kids are older I'll have more time to do stuff for ME, but now it's mostly about them. Which is just fine.

12:40 PM  
Blogger ar said...

Bea is right. This was a lovely post and the part about the garden was right on. Last year when I was forced to move to a compound I inherited a bougainvillea, and well, was scared at first as I really thought it would take one look at me and expire, but these are fortunately hardy plants. Pink and beautiful. For some reason it just keepd flowering and never give up. After my trip to South Africa I neglected one of the bougainvilleas and one day all the leaves came off (felt really rotten about it). Also thought it was the end of the plant, until I gave it some water three days in a row, and could not believe the leaves sprouting like crazy almost instantly. Takes little to please these guys and what a pleasure to look at. The flower are amazing. Deep pink. Think I should go and water them quickly as it has been quite a hot day for the guys :>)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Not safe to plant here until the end of May. I am doing seeds in the ground (ANNUALS) but put young plants in all the window boxes then.

Sounds like you are feeling "in a good kind of groove" and content.

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home