Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Discipline Update

Since I picked discipline as an area for growth/improvement this year I am taking a moment to see where I am with it. It is interesting to me that I have been motivated into discipline by a couple or a few key events. The events may have been motivated by my lack of discipline. I know there is a relationship, anyway.

For one, my work habits have undergone a drastic change. They had to. I got in trouble. I got in trouble because my work habits were chaotic in the eyes of my boss. And in reality, looking back, they were chaotic. I now come in at the same time everyday, leave at the same time and take precisely an hour lunch. If I deviate from that schedule I send her an e-mail describing the deviation and I make sure I document it on my time report. I make sure I stop in and say hi when I arrive so everyone knows when I got in. I say goodbye when I leave so they can note the time if they wish. When I leave for lunch, I do the same. These are new habits for me. But they actually feel good. During my career I have found ways to circumvent the conventional work hours. I did it with management approval through my own negotiations but now I can't. I am finding peace in this, and I am finding that this new exercise in discipline is helping motivate me to attain discipline in other areas.

As for food, my illness and the prednisone scared me back into tracking what I eat, and planning what I eat. Although I do not strictly adhere to the plan everyday, I still have the discipline of planning and tracking. I weigh myself and stay in reality. It feels safe and secure. It also feels healthy. And, like the work habits, it motivates me and gives me some confidence that I can gain discipline in other areas.

Another area where I want more discipline is in my finances - sticking to a budget. Planning and tracking are tools for this, just like with food. Even if I don't stick strictly to the budget, planning and tracking will keep me in reality.

I also want discipline in my housekeeping. This will include perhaps (I am in the inception of this one) planning and tracking as well. I can plan what days to do what chores. And check them off. Then I can build the habits. Some things are daily, others are not. The kids can join in this one with me. It will be good for all of us.

I am sure there are other areas for discipline. But those are the ones that come to mind now. Laura commented that there is freedom in discipline. I love that statement. I used to think of discipline as restrictive and oppressive. But it isn't. It allows me to do more things. The disciplined work habits allows me to go home with no work in hand and have my evening free. Discipline with food allows me to feel good about myself, have better health, and have a sense of security. I am no longer burdened with guilt because I know where I stand. The fear is gone.

Just a few comments on discipline for today. Last night my eating was not very disciplined. I was very hungry at dinner, and ended up nibbling while I cooked. Then I craved popcorn and fruit, so I had some. Looking back, that's not so bad. But it gives me that out of control feeling that I don't like. Plus, when I got up at 3 a.m. to take my brother to work I had terrible indigestion. I don't think my body was used to that kind of eating. I am glad I had a consequence. It will make me stop and think before I over nibble next time. I am feeling better today and having a good eating day so far.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

that is exactly what I have found - what other label "strict" or "rigid" - I find VERY freeing. And perhaps the best part is not thinking/worrying about everything. It truly is better (for me) to live in reality and not rumminate.

4:48 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

Hi Cindy, I am catching up on your posts. Prednisone is a scary drug. Many many side effects.

I am also going for discipline. Is good to hear someone else has the same sorts of issues. I have been living in the doldrums and haven't read anyone for awhile. I am fired up again I think.

Have you watched "I Can Make You Thin" on TLC? If so tell me what you think. (see my blog) I am mixed up about some of it. I will now stay better in touch.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home