Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Puffy Begins




OK. I know I have been good. I have tracked. And even measured sometimes. I have been drinking and drinking the water. So this morning's elevated weight (4 pounds since Monday's low) has to be some sort of side effect and I am not going to let it get to me. I feel the slight swelling all over my body. I am glad I dropped a couple of pounds in the beginning so this upswing does not seem so bad. And, it should go away right? Lie to me.

Yesterday I was diligent with food. I stuck with my planned food all day and at dinner I found my plans had changed. Daughter wanted to go to the mall with her best friend from where we used to live. I encourage that relationship so I dropped them at the mall for a couple of hours. I went to a restaurant that has a great salad bar. I sat for about an hour or so and had salad. Very careful salad. Some boiled egg, cottage cheese, peas and soy beans, and teeny tiny bit of low fat dressing. I had sunflower seeds. I think my total intake for the day could not be bad, plus it was good healthy stuff. It was SO RELAXING to sit there and go through my pile of mail and pay bills at the bar, nibbling salad and drinking water. I took a pile of old mail to go through so I could get caught up on some things. It was great.

So the puffy is not going to defeat me. I have been adopting good habits since last week when I started the prednisone. I believe I am doing all I can. I only have three more days. I hope to return to the gym soon but I have been focused on getting sleep right now. I have had two nights in a row of better sleep. I even overslept yesterday, but thankfully made it to work on time. Since the kids are off school I don't have to get them up I have a little extra time to stay in bed. I may have had eight hours two nights in a row now. Plus, overall, I have been more relaxed since I surrendered everything and adjusted my attitude.

To be honest the puffy is kind of scary. I can feel the swelling and bloat and it bothers me. A little part of me is thinking, what if it just swells continuously and does not stop? Like when you get stung by a bee and you are allergic??? OK enough paranoia. I think I will focus on work and try and ignore the puffy. Perhaps a little less sodium today. One thing I have been using for protein is tuna. It has lots of sodium, so maybe skip the tuna today and go for a chicken breast or something.

While puffing up, I'll just keep reminding myself that my size 8 jeans were kinda bagging last night, except for the waistline. I buy the smallest size jeans that fit me when I shop. I know it's kind of silly but it's a psychological boost for me. These 8's are probably the same as a 10 somewhere but since they say 8, I buy them. Even if they were 10's it would still be miraculous that I can wear them. I never thought I'd get down to this size again. For at least six years I struggled continuously with my eating and weight. So a little prednisone puffy is not going to get to me. Especially since I have used it as an opportunity to get back into disciplined eating.



More will be revealed..

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura N said...

Cindy, I am sorry you are dealing with this. First off, you are doing great, staying on track and eating right and drinking water. And keeping a tough mental attitude about it all. Second, this prednisone affect IS tremendous, but it is temporary. It will go away.

Do you know anyone who's been on this drug? To know what to expect? My daughter (who's 6) took prednisone last October for 10 days, and what it did to her was unbelievable. I started to type everything it did to her, but then erased it because you might not want to know and I don't want to freak you out. I will share with you what she went through, if you want to know you can email me or post a comment on my blog.

Take care of yourself.

And I do the same thing with jeans! I've got a pair of Old Navy's in 8 and 6, and on my skinny feeling days I wear the 6 (they are tight, but in a good way =).

2:32 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

lettuce is often "treated" at salad bars - pizza hut's (for example) - gets me EVERY time.

Prednisone is going to have this effect - and it is going to last for a while - you just have to muscle through it - mentally - and keep your food in line (very carefully) the whole time - so that you come out on the other end as good as possible.

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home