Thursday, April 19, 2007

Going Abstinent, Can I do it???

This morning I made a comitment to eating abstinent. What that means for me is measuring my portions and eating certain types of foods. I have done it before, and it works well for me. I want to think of it not as restrictive but as a choice or a series of choices that I want to make for a higher purpose. If I focus on what I "can't" eat, it gets negative, and feels like a temporary restriction. If I focus on the really great foods that I am choosing to eat, then it is a positive life change that I am making on a meal by meal basis. Anyway, I am going with that today. I like to think positive.

It is also my way of "changing the things I can" in a world where there are many things I cannot change that disturb me. This of course has been a disturbing week in the news. And I get depression after a major traumatic event. I had panic and anxeity after 9/11 and today I just have that down feeling. A pretty significant one at that. So I want to be sure I focus on the positive changes I can make in my life, to balance out the sadness of what cannot be changed.

Abstient eating is a glorious thing for me. I know what is "abstinent" for me may not qualify as "abstinent" for others, but I try to do a healthy trigger-free, normal portion meal plan with the food groups represented. One meal at a time. I had toasted whole oats, lowfat milk and grapefruit for breakfast. It is mid morning and I am hoping that, one meal at a time, (I keep throwing that in) I can do this today. I need a high protien lunch and I have yet to determine what that will be given what is in the house. I am working from home and must report to my boss what I accomplish today so there is not a grocery store break in the making. The best I can determine is an egg dish, with some part skim cheese and that actually sounds great in fact. So I am prepared for that. I also have my old favorite snack, nut butter boats as they are called on South Beach. And by dinner time I will be able to go out and get some lean meat to prepare.

So can I do this? Yes I can. Now, how about exercise? That walk to Swan Lake, that I did not make yesterday, I will make today. And, Tae Bo Billy sent me some new stuff, with a bar to do his Amped workout, so I will check that out. I am making a commitment to it right now.

This is the day I begin my new program. I will report back later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

Yes you can do it. And so can I. Where did my enthusiasm go? I loved my abstinent food plan until we moved. Now it just seems like drudgery. Same plan, different place. Maybe I need a new plan? What do you think?

You look amazing. Ten years younger. I think you may be shedding more than just fat.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I probably am, I just felt much the blob yesterday and the day before, perhaps due to "that time of the month.." Thanks, I need the encouragement. It is almost 2 pm and I am still abstinent. Had my lunch and ran out to get supplies for dinner. I am ready.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

I can't remember if I have told you this before - I told Rae and she said it really changed things for her - Consider COOKING all meat before you freeze it - then it is only minutes away - any time. I do the same thing with beans - cook a crock pot full - and then freeze in 1 cup servings - ready any time.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

You can do it. You have inspired me to make this coming week count.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home