Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Vacation Non-Scale Victories

I thought I'd take a minute to list my vacation NSV's, since the last time I went to CA I weighed at least 40-50 pounds heavier:

Feeling the same size as my sister. I may not weigh the same but I did not feel "bigger" at all.

Airplane seat was roomy, and I had to tighten the seat belt instead of the other way around.

Running easily. Climbing hills easily. I don't recall ever feeling out of breath or running out of energy. In fact, I had energy to spare, and was always up for a good hike or physical challenge.

Enjoying food. I was never embarrassed about what or how much I ate. I never had that feeling I used to have about eating in front of people - like I should eat less, and avoid the "fattening" stuff.

Enjoying food, without over doing. I had some great meals but did not go overboard. I balanced heavier meals with eating less afterward. I did not feel guilty about anything I ate except for once when I had the top of a brownie after what seemed like a pretty big meal..

Being able to go over a week without weighing myself.

At the spa, in the steam room, the towel fit nicely around my body. I was not self-conscious at all around the other women.

I was not self-conscious about my body during my full body massage at the spa.

Compliments from my sister regarding my fitness and ability to do push-ups, etc.

Layering my tops without feeling bulky.

That's all I can think of for now. I like to take time to acknowledge my progress, especially when I am at a plateau or experiencing a small gain. It keeps me motivated to keep on doing what has worked. Being good to myself works. And setting boundaries and realistic limits.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

No longer a victim. There has been a sea change in you and in the blog. I want to talk to you about this. My email is beulamae@silverstar.com. I think my stalled weight loss is because I don't want to give up the role of victim. What do you think? Let me know.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Laura N said...

Loved your list! It's funny, I hadn't really thought about enjoying food w/o feeling self conscious around others as a NSV. But it totally is. A huge one. I never feel guilty about eating in front of people any more, even if it's a "bad" food. I think it's also that I approach food so differently now than I used to, as well, not just because I need to lose 50 pounds and I think everyone is judging me every time I take a bite. Used to, it would be "how much can I eat w/o people thinking I'm a pig (and can I sneak 2nds or 3rds w/o anyone seeing me)." Now it's "what can I eat and feel satisfied but not deprived." Wow. I can't believe I've never realized that before.

I'm so glad you had a nice trip.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

I think giving up the "victim thing" ties into no longer waiting for the "lottery/fairy godmother/magic" to fix everything. Empowerment perhaps?

2:59 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Still pondering the victim deal in relation to food. It fits, it really does, but I never thought of it quite that way. Maybe I did but not so clearly put. Another revelation! And it is related to letting go of the distorted thinking of quick fixes and black and white, all or nothing thinking. There is a level of acceptance of the here and now that had to occur in me before I could move forward. Like taking stock and seeing what I have to work with.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home