Thursday, August 14, 2008

Changes

Changed my blog style so my pictures and weight loss ticker would show up better. I also adjusted my weight since I had that gain right before vacation. Working on losing that and getting to that goal of 145. Want to keep accountable so I will adjust it each week.

I am back to measuring and planning regularly. It is the only way I know to lose and maintain loss. I don't always stick to it exactly, but it keeps me in a safe range of eating.

Speaking of changes, Lynn's comment on my last post has sparked some thinking (see below). The victim state of mind - and it's relationship to weight/food/eating. I'd like to start a dialogue on that. There is a relationship. With food - If I was the victim, the perpetrator was me. Realizing that, I could take steps to stop the self abuse. If I saw the "perpetrator" as situations outside my control, then I stayed in the same old habits..... There is a change in how I look at things. I see where I choose things, instead of feeling like I am at the mercy of situations. I also see where I cannot change things, but I can make adjustments of my own to lessen any negative impact situations or people have on me. I keep the focus more on what I do, and how it impacts me.

Food for thought?

5 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

my therapist has been talking a lot about self sabotage and also self esteem (did I spell that right?). FYI. Common concern areas in food disordered thinking people.

On another topic - I have this on my side bar - you might want to go read - suggested to me (by my therapist) - don't know if it will help - but it is there.

http://www.coping.org/growth/beliefs.htm

What did you find out about support groups or therapy available?

4:47 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

http://www.businessballs.com/maslowhierarchyofneeds5.pdf

also this one - building a safe pyramid - focusing on the right things - in the right order.

I think that what you are going through now is "the next step".

when the food and exercise and taking care of the basics starts to fall into place - then we start to work on other areas - stages and steps.

I often wonder if those that are on a seemingly end less loop of "the food" are actually doing it as self sabotage or a weird version of self paralysis/stuck/retreat so that they don't move on and DEAL.

The expression "it's about the food until it isn't about the food anymore" comes to mind.

so, I guess what I am saying is - don't let yourself get sucked in - rejoice in the fact that you are ready to move on and start to deal. For me - when I hit the stage that you seem to be in - the "let's start to fix it" - and realized that the food was a coping mechanism - habit - diversion - the food did become a lot easier.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

you probably have to copy down to the next line after the links inorder to get the whole thing - there is more to the right of each one (that we just can't see).

4:58 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Wow, thanks. This stage for me is like when I stopped drinking. The drinking was a symptom. Quitting was only the beginning. Then my eyes opened up to many things that needed to chenge. I came very far, I went to college, I built a career and started a new family with my daughter. On the other side of that I had the tragedy of my sons, and the abusive relationships with men in my past and my inability to form a good relationship or pick a healthy partner. I started eating and gained the weight. Now I am recovering from that, and, removing the food I have seen the underlying issues. It is like the tip of an iceberg, but in a good way. I know I can do this, I have done many things. I keep growing and changing and maturing. I am determined not to fall back into old ways, but to find the new and improved living skills. You are such a help. I will go to those sites and put them on my favorites!

6:57 AM  
Blogger Laura N said...

I like the cleaner blog look.

Yep, Vickie is such a gift, isn't she?!

I quoted you on my blog today. =)

I'm so proud of you. I don't really "know" you but feel like I do, you know? Anyway, I'm proud to see you continuing to work through this stuff and figure it out. And you and me, baby, we gotta get to that magic 145. I *know* I'll feel better about all my clothes when I hit that number. But do I have what it takes to buckle down right now? I just don't know.... I suppose that's my first problem right there--the drive has to be there to succeed.

But hey, you've got the drive, and you are going to get there, girl, I know you are.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home