Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Joys of Being Caffeine Free

I completed my first week caffeine free. The withdrawal is most likely finished according to what I have read, although I did see where it could last up to nine days. But today I feel great. One thing that I noticed immediately was that the undercurrent of anxiety that plagued me most of the time is gone. It has vanished. I read that feeling as fear and stress. I often got fixated on a problem or issue and could not let go of it. I felt more compulsive, or impulsive with the constant buzzing of the stimulant. The absence of it makes me feel stable and calm most of the time. More in control. This morning when I walked into my office I felt an almost overwhelming sense of well being. It's great. It is not chemically induced!

My Drastic (Helen should get a copyright on Drastic!) did not start yesterday. It was my night out with daughter and we went to a Chinese buffet. There is nothing Drastic about that. In fact, I forgot how icky that food eventually makes me feel. It would be great if it was not laced in sauces and sodium and other stuff. I did not eat an overwhelming amount of food but it was way more than I normally eat. We used to eat out all the time but back then I weighed 40-50 pounds more than I do now. I enjoyed eating out with her but now I have that Chinese food hangover of a slight swollen feeling. Next time we will do a different type of food.

So I can Drastic today, and I am. Drastic now becoming a verb. I brought a supply of food and I know how much there is, how many calories, etc. I can eat all of it before the end of the work day, in any order. It feels great to be prepared. I also brought some herbal teas. I love tea. And I can drink it without consequence. With coffee I had to always put something in it and that added calories. With tea, I don't add anything. I am excited about having a productive day at the office, including a workout on my lunch hour.

I am excited about something else, too. I am signing up for a spiritual retreat. It's in June - 12th - 15th. A friend of mine was telling me about it last night. She went last year. I called the guy and left a message and I hope to get in. I need something like that. I'm looking forward to it.

I am in awe of this caffeine free state. I was loading up on the stuff constantly, thinking I needed it. But it perpetuated it's own need. It was a hamster wheel in and of itself. I am sure some people can drink it normally, but not me. I overdid it. Without it I have more clarity, and it is easier to relax. I have not had as many distorted thoughts. I went to a shrink years ago when I wanted treatment for eating disorders. He told me to stop drinking caffeine. He was not very helpful about the food, in fact not at all. He did not acknowledge I had a problem. But he did have something there with the advice on the caffeine.

Anyway, today I am celebrating my freedom from the bondage of caffeine.

More will be revealed!

5 Comments:

Blogger ar said...

Spiritual retreat sounds wonderful. Wonder whether it is the kind that you do not talk. I would love to go on one of those Buddhist retreats where they do a lot of chanting. I am convinced that there is something good that can come out of vibrations. Congrats again with the coffee free. Must give you a tremendous sense of achievement.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Congratulations on your one-week caffeine-free!! :-)

I'd trademark Drastic, but it doesn't sound as fun as it really is! Ahhh...and that's the secret, right? ;-)

The spiritual retreat sounds wonderful. I went on a yoga retreat about five years ago and it changed my life...I wish I had a teacher now who inspired me enough that I'd want to do it again...I'm sure that "more will be revealed"! ;-)

1:24 PM  
Blogger Lori G. said...

Everything sounds like it's going to plan, Cindy. I'm pretty impressed with you going caffeine free.

Have you read, "Dakota"? You might enjoy that.

I hope you have a great day/week! Sorry for being so AWOL from everyone.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

You are doing so well Cindy. And the retreat sounds so awesome and well deserved.

I went caffeine free at the beginning of the year, then slowly ended up being caffeinated again! I plan on going cold turkey again June 1st (the last week of son's school). Down here, we will already be in the mid 90's and I seriously don't need to be drinking a hot liquid first thing in the morning.

I love Helen's Drastic. She will have to write a book!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Laura N said...

Wow, I had no idea no caffeine would be such a big deal. I have around 3-4 cups of coffee a day. I might have to consider doing what you did.

I love spiritual retreats. Haven't been on one in years. I'm so happy for you that you get to go. It will be something wonderful to look forward to.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home