Friday, May 02, 2008

The Fourth Day

It's the fourth day without caffeine. Last night I had trouble falling asleep. It was kind of a long night. I worked out in the evening so that may have something to do with it. I do feel a bit blah today but yesterday my spirits were up. I picked up my books on the cardinal virtues in the evening and that put me in an optimistic state of mind. Maybe blah is simply feeling calm and since I am not used to feeling calm, I think it's blah. I think I might have something there.

It's a rainy day. The rain is soothing and calm. I'd love to curl up with a book. I forgot how much I enjoy reading. I hope to make more time for reading now that I am off the hamster wheel. Perhaps each night at bedtime. That would help me fall asleep, too.

I feel like I am craving stuff now and then but I am resisting most of the time. I ate a little more last night than normal but nothing earth shattering. Nothing I can't get over. I brought enough food for the day at work so I don't have to go poking around the vending machines. I found myself at the vending machine yesterday so I brought more food today. Being prepared is crucial for me.

I hope I can get in a more upbeat state of mind as the day progresses. But I will remind myself that the blah feeling is the feeling of being calm and peaceful without the surge of caffeine. I may do a few trips up and down the stairs from the 4th floor. That might get my heart rate up and produce a little bit of euphoria, while getting some exercise. My exercise waned during my two days of soul searching/soul sickness/mourning or whatever that was. But I am back on the beam.

I have plans with a good friend this evening. Not sure what we are doing. The kids have plans, too. It will be nice to be in the company of a positive, upbeat, encouraging friend who has known me for almost 20 years.

More will be revealed!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

I can't exercise in the evening - at all. I can do meditation type work or stretching type work - but anything cardio related - and major trouble sleeping.

I think up and down the stairs sounds like a great idea. Are you somewhere that you can take a brisk walk OUTSIDE for 5 minutes?

If you smoked - would they let you out for 5?

surely fresh air for 5 is just as important as smoke for 5.

The thought of going back to caffine for me - is just like the thought of going off my psych meds - and the image that I used to do both at the same time - caffinated pop and no meds - is really scary. . .

1:04 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Congratulations on being off the caffeine! I have been off of it for about 5 years now and I am so happy I did it (although the first few days were painful withdrawal for me).

I love reading too...wish I had more time for it...I'm hoping for some days doing that in Mexico.

P.S. You know you are welcome at our beach anytime. :-)

2:32 PM  
Blogger ar said...

Hi Cindy. Congrats! I went without coffee for a while and am back into my old destructive habits again ... most embarassed to admit. Have you thought about taking green tea perhaps? When I am off caffeine I find the Twinings Green Tea with Mint very refreshing. Another option is Ginseng. Ginseng is apparently very good for energy, may help to take care of the blah feeling?

4:27 PM  
Blogger ar said...

Cindy, I have just looked up Ginseng as I know different Ginsengs work differently, maybe this one would help for what you had described in your posting:

· Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus Senticosis)
Siberian Ginseng is a good choice for those who need to reduce fatigue and sleepiness. It will help strengthen your immune system and is beneficial for treating stress, anxiety, and sleep related conditions such as insomnia. Siberian Ginseng can help bring your sleeping patterns back into balance and restore the body’s sleep cycle.

I took it from this Website:
http://www.thebenefitsofginseng.com

4:33 PM  
Blogger Laura N said...

Congrats on the 6 pound loss in April. That's a great rate of loss.

Do you like fiction? Water for Elephants was a book I really enjoyed. If you like weight loss memoirs, you should get Jennette Fulda's Half Assed. She writes the blog "Half of Me." It's a fun read, and lots to identify with on the food and exercise front.

Hope you had a relaxing weekend.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home