Thursday, November 01, 2007

November - Gratitude

I am making November my month of thanksgiving and gratitude. I decided that just now after my post Halloween candy weigh-in which showed .8 loss which I round to one pound for my one calculation. The truth is that in spite of myself and my nibble here and there, I did track points much of the time and make all kinds of good decisions about food this past week. So I am thrilled with the .8 loss.

Yesterday on Halloween I looked back at my old posts and I remembered last Halloween. I remembered being alone, feeling sorry for myself and eating most of the contents of the candy bowl much to my own horror. This year, I was happy the kids had plans of their own and friends to spend the holiday with. I had options for what I was going to do as well. When I got home I took a bike ride up my steep hills, and then I took the dog for a walk. I had little time to eat in front of the TV. I watched one show, then I had some running around to do that took up all my time until it was time to pick up grandson. And then it was bedtime basically. I had a bite here and there of peanut butter cups but threw the remainders away. I did not find myself struggling at all. Also, I had placed the candy bowl outside on the porch by the pumpkins which I had left uncarved. No contact with candy bowl was my desire. Unfortunately, my porch light was burned out and no one came to the house. So the cold damp candy bowl was still full. I bought things that don't tempt me much. And I will turn the contents over to the kids to stash or perhaps donate them.

It was a much better night and I realize that psychologically I am light years away from the mindset of last year. Back then I was fragile, still not knowing if I could actually put together some time without binging, hating myself, gaining back all my losses, and so on. Now I have some experience. Good experience. I am more forgiving and patient. I am more positive in my thinking and optimistic in my outlook. I still have fears and difficulties but I no longer feel alone and isolated, I share my life today with others.

My entire surroundings have changed in the year since last Halloween. We lived in our old neighborhood back then. My daughter has new friends, I have made some new friends and my grandson has made a new friend now as well. The kids go to a much better school and their grades are great. The learning environment is better and it is safe and free from violence, unlike the middle school we felt so trapped with last year. My home is bigger and in a much safer, prettier, and altogether nicer neighborhood. Even my old and worn little car that I hung onto for so long has been replaced by a newer one in better shape.

Those are just a few things that have changed. The best part, though, is the change in my attitude and ability to deal with life. I still have challenges, big ones, but I have less fear and more faith that things will work out for the best.

I have kept up with blogging and found wonderful people in the blogging community through AFG. I have a support system today that works. It has made the most difference in my ability to lose and maintain weight loss this year. I am at my 30 pound milestone in weight loss since I started blogging in mid-July of 2006. And that's something to celebrate!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori G. said...

You are always so positive and upbeat, even when you admit to feeling low. I love your gratitude and it's contagious. Thanks for reminding me.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

Great post Cindy.

I just love the way your calmness shines through with your word choices and rhythm of how you write.

I forget this should be the month of being grateful.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home