Friday, March 30, 2007

Taking a Moment

I am taking a moment to savor my new home. I am in my room, propped up in bed, with my swollen ankle iced and elevated on pillows. I have my coffee and water on a bedside table, and a salad next to me for nourishment. There is a soft rain falling and my window is open to let in the breeze. My ceiling fan is gently circulating the fresh air. There are birds singing outside and when I look out I see the leaves budding on the tree outside my window.

I have slowed down. Everything can wait for now. Enough is taken care of for this moment. I can enjoy the fruits of the hard labor of the recent past. It is magnificent and splendid. I dressed nicely this morning to drive my daughter to school. No one would see me really, but I wanted to feel clean and pretty, having been grungy and grimy for days. Now I have put on a soft silky pastel (breaking the fat dressing rules) nightgown and robe. Just to feel pampered. I am so happy, in fact I am beyond happy.

I have my pad and pen for making the to do list, which will be shorter, and not mandatory for today. Just a list so I have it on paper and out of my head. But for now, even the list can wait. This is a moment for gratitude. A moment for peace in having had a miraculous accomplishment. Sometimes we miss the little miracles in life because we move on to the next task at hand, or at least I do. But not this time. I am not missing this one. It is one of the strongest acts of faith I have experienced.

I read a meditation before this post. I want to share it because it applies to all of us so much -

Friday, March 30, 2007


You are reading from the book Today's Gift

Come stand by my side where I'm going, Take my hand if I stumble and fall, It's the strength that you share when you're growing, That gives me what I need most of all.--Hoyt

The bear cub was miserable. Her father, the leader of the pack, had left a month ago to find them winter shelter and had not yet returned. Everyone went on as if nothing had changed.One evening the cub had a dream in which her father appeared and said, "Daughter, I know you grieve for me, but your burden is too heavy to carry alone. Share it with the others and let them comfort you. Sharing will only lighten your load, and if you can accept help now you will find it easier to give when others are in need."The next morning the little cub woke with a much lighter heart. As it turns out, everyone in the pack shared the same dream. There was much hugging and crying and reaching out and healing.We can easily lighten our loads by asking support from those who love us, knowing our turn to help will come.What help can I ask for today?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. No portion of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without the written permission of the publisher.

For a long time I struggled alone. But the more I share my struggles and joys with others, the greater things I can accomplish. I have more help today than I ever had in my entire life.

Thanks everybody!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

Heart felt - so glad for you.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home