Friday, June 27, 2008

Potato Chip Experiement

Tuesday people kept commenting on my weight loss and using the word "skinny"...and when I looked in the mirror I had that lack of figure feeling again. When I was home in the evening I had a salt craving. I reached for a bag of very cheap and sleazy potato chips, the kind no one should have, even people who can normally enjoy a chip or two. I ate as many as I wanted. I was not worried about weight gain, but felt they were probably not a good idea. They were good in a gross sort of way but they made my tummy feel a little icky. I went to bed shortly after, I think they acted as a mild sedative.

In the morning I was four pounds heavier on the scale. Hee hee. No more "too skinny" worries that day. I attributed it to the salt and icky of the chips and was not too freaked out. I just noted the impact of the episode. I had more that night but my brief and sleazy affair had lost it's charm. I threw the remainder away the next day when I got home from work. I decided not to have that sort of item in the house. Not so much because I might eat it, but because if it is that gross for me to eat, let's not give it to the kids or their friends, either. In fact, my daughter was raving about the yellow organic carrots that I brought home last night. I need to remember that this is a child who fussed for celery in the grocery cart when she was two instead of Halloween candy. Raw veggies on hand, and fruit for all, instead of chips.

My weight is easing back down to normal. I have been drinking water and watching the sodium content of my food. I could have done without the whole chip affair. But it was eye-opening and interesting in a few different ways. There are correlations between the chip affair and the men I have chosen in life, but I won't go there right now. An entire book could be written on that one. Also I had a brief thought of sabotage, was I sabotaging myself with chips, reacting to the fear of the loss of figure?? Maybe a tad bit, but I stopped and decided to go along my merry way, healing and living. I kept my awareness the entire time and did not "check out" like I used to, giving up temporarily and hiding out. Hopefully this makes sense.

When I eat with full awareness of what I am doing, taking responsibility for my choices, I see things in a new light. I did not hate myself for eating the chips, I merely decided that they were not worth the bloating and recovery time. If I want a high sodium/grease episode, I will go out for Mexican or Chinese food with a friends and family.

I kept both physical therapy appointments this week and did my gym routine twice for my legs. I have been doing my floor exercises at home. I have been getting good sleep this week. Several nights in a row I had at least eight hours and one night ten (could have been the chip night). Getting a good night's rest appears to minimize my back pain. Perhaps that has to do with relaxing the muscles.

Anyway, it's Friday and I am happy. Almost finished with the book When Food Is Love. Thanks so much to Lynn for the recommendation!

More will be revealed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori G. said...

Ah, potato chips.

They seem to speak to you when you have the low feelings about yourself, don't they?

This is all good though. You realized you were feeling blah about yourself and your figure and you realized that potato chips are not the answer.

(That could be a good book title, "Potato Chips Are Not the Answer but They'll Do For the Next Half Hour...")

That's pretty cool about your daughter loving the organic carrots. And the exercise!

I hope you have a great weekend!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Vickie said...

interesting fact from yesterday at my house: we picked up a bag of natural/whole grain tortilla (sp?) type chips from the health food section of the store and carried them over to the regular chip aisle.

The stats on the two packages were basically the SAME - sodium was within 10 mg of the same - the rest of the stats were identical (fat, calories, etc).

We got the "bad aisle ones".

I am finding more and more - that processed food - is processed food - regardless of what side of the store or packaging.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Chips...ahhhh...my downfall...I love them! And, like Vickie says, even the "healthy" ones have similar nutrition information (although Trader Joes "regular" tortilla chips have a little more that half the fat of regular tortilla chips...see, all about packaging! And I like them better than the real fatty ones anyway.). But, like you, I have started to THINK about my "cheats"...I "save" the calories in the day if I want to have a beer, for example. Or today when I know there is wine and cheese in my future, I'll be very VERY good. ;-)

Enjoy your weekend!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Laura N said...

I hope you enjoy your weekend, chip-free! =)

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home