Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Not Another Fat Summer!!!!!!!!!

Hot weather and fat do not go well together at all. I am hoping the pounds I lost will help me be at least a little more comfortable this Summer, but I want to take some more fat off this month to feel even better. Yesterday was a preview of things to come - 91 degrees, I think, was the high. I have bad memories of being at my biggest in the peak of the steamy, suffocating heat we get here in Summer and even Spring and Fall. And I don't even want to go into the wardrobe issues and memories - finding something cool that I am not mortified to be seen in, even worse, photographed in by family, and so on. And the sweatiness of it all. I will use those memories to deter my wandering appetite.

The heat yesterday scared me. I did not feel ready for the season at all. Plus, I am still feeling "fatter than I was when I was 200 pounds" which is really bizarre. I blame lack of exercise, thinking that I have more fat now, instead of muscle, and that fat takes up more room. But if that were the case I would not be able to fit into my clothes, right? I am not going to entertain that debate in my head anymore. I am moving on. I will use those "too fat" feelings also to intervene when I desire to stray from my noble plan. And I will stop trying to figure it all out. So, as of today - I refuse to have another "Fat Summer" and I am determined to see what I can do this month to keep that from happening.

So, how am I prepared for the upcoming month's effort, and the impending oppressive heat of the months that lie ahead? Here is a list:

Wardrobe: I have some, but not many, short sleeve blouses for work, and plenty of tanks and tees for home. I have one pair of cut off shorts and a few elastic waist shorts. They may be a little baggy, but they can work for around the house. I have located at least one pair of Capri's. My swimsuit from last year will work for the time being and I have my trusty trunks to cover the waist to mid-thigh area. What I need are one or two pair of slacks in a lighter fabric to wear to work. And perhaps I can sacrifice one more pair of jeans to cut off for shorts.

Exercise plans: I have the cooler wee hours of the morning to walk or take those hill climbing bike rides. Then there is the two visit a week gym membership for indoor workouts and swimming/steam room. I have an arsenal of workout tapes (if only I'd just do them...). I have the late evening and night time when it cools down to take sunset or moonlit walks. Also, the woods tend to be shadier and cooler on hot days for hiking. We also have our weekend getaway where my friend has an exercise pool, how great is that?

Food plans - With Summer comes in-season veggies galore!! Supplies increase and price goes down. I can be well stocked for less money. I am starting up my cooking in quantity and freezing for easy access program, thanks to inspiration from Vickie. I am focusing on lean proteins and green veggies - along with whole grains and light yogurt/cottage cheese. Sort of a South Beach phase one with Kay Sheppard. I love the foods these plans employ.

Inspiration - I am getting back to my quiet times and meditations and doing more reading of literature about weight loss and related topics, whether it be factual or inspirational in nature. Also, fitness in general, health and exercise. Training my thoughts, like I talked about on Sunday.

Support - the blogs, of course, plus I want to get back to some online support groups and perhaps even a group in my area. I can't do this alone. I am also seeing my old therapist for a while to touch base about dealing with all the changes in my life. That way I deal with things in a healthy way, instead of turning to food.

Accountability - continue to weigh regularly, at least once a week and track progress and report it to someone. Also for the time being - record food intake and exercise in a formal manner, and maybe even report that to someone if I can find an e-buddy to look at it each day--any volunteers? It helps me stay out of denial, and plan ahead.

Journals - keep up with blog entries and use the journals I keep offline to inspire, vent, keep track, deal with feelings, etc.

That's my plan to avoid "another Fat Summer" and if anyone has any suggestions - I'd love the input!

2 Comments:

Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

I get the "feeling fatter than I was at 200 pounds".

I feel the same way. I quit my long 60 minute daily walks four weeks ago and it shows in my belly, bottom, etc. Though I only weigh 6 pounds more than I did in December - it feels like 30 pounds. Aarrggh.

Love your post. I think your plan is a great one, and will print it off for future reference.

Hope you find a support group in your town, and I hope you get a little cooler weather. I hate when the seasons jump from winter to summer with 1 or 2 days of spring.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Honi said...

WELLLLLLL.. I totally agree with you.. I am having issues realizing I have lost 21.25 pounds since jan 22, 2007. The one thing I am doing is going through my closet and taking all the clothes that are too big for me and putting them in garbage bags. I am also glad about the warmer weather.Though I am a winter person at heart. I like being outside more. I really enjoyed your post.. and might just have to inact some of your ideas to help me as I keep losing.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home