Thursday, May 03, 2007

My Walking Buddy



















Well there he is, my current exercise partner. He will go for a walk anytime, anywhere. In fact, he gets so excited if I even mention to someone out loud that I might "take Charley for a walk" he jumps up and down and completely leaves the ground. So when I am tired, and not feeling motivated, I have a little trick. I just ask Charley if he wants to go for a walk outside. Saying it takes very little energy, but once I say it to him, there is no turning back. His wriggling, bouncing energy is even a little contagious, I have to admit. He is a good trainer, too. He doesn't just walk, he runs, and if I don't go fast enough for him, he practically chokes himself. His hacking noises are a little embarrassing, and I fear he will hurt himself, so I make sure to keep up. It takes a while for him to wear down, and he looks so happy the whole time that I feel happy doing the walk, even if I did not want to go for myself.

That is one thing I have learned about exercise. If I just show up, for example, at the gym, then I HAVE to work out, and I always feel better. Showing up takes less effort than the actual work out, but it guarantees the deal. At home in the morning if I just roll out the mat and get on the floor, which takes little effort, I will do some exercises, and I will feel good about it the rest of the day. A little effort in the beginning, leads to more effort, ending up with a rewarding result. The same goes for walks with Charley. It improves even the worst of moods.

Having an exercise buddy is a great way to get in the habit of working out. The first time I ever joined a gym was at the urging of a friend when I was 30 and weighed about 16 pounds less than I do today, but of course, felt huge. My friend just wanted someone to go with, more for fun or recreation, and I liked the idea. At first I went to meet up with her, but then I developed a passion for it. I lost 25 pounds that summer and was in fantastic shape. If it had not been for her, I may have never joined a gym. The thought had never even crossed my mind. It was also intimidating.

Right now Charley is my only work out buddy, but that could change. I am getting the kids into hiking with me now, and I plan to put the bike rack on the car as soon as I figure out how. That way I can haul bikes to the Katy Trail, a long, long, trail that follows the Missouri River. I like the idea of getting my workouts while doing a recreational activity with the family. Roller skating is a favorite, but with the ankle injury I have had to put that off a bit. But the pools open at the end of the month so swimming is just around the corner.

Tonight I almost did not go for my walk, it was late, and damp, and dark. But I promised Charley, so I had to go. That is how the buddy system works!

5 Comments:

Blogger Honi said...

Thanks for stoping by my blog and there is no buddy better than a four legged cheering system who always wants to go go go... good for you... great post and cute pup...

10:54 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

You know - a doggy buddy - might be better than a people buddy - in a lot of ways - if two people are really in tune and devoted - that can help each other GET to exercise - but if one or the other is off sync - it can be a reason not to go.

I agree - the dog kind - is ALWAYS ready to go.

I have often thought that if I ever stop throwing papers - it would be good to fine ONE working family with ONE or TWO dogs that live at the same house - and offer to walk ONCE per day - during the week while they were at work - really good motivation to walk - and lots of company.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

I agree with Vickie on the doggy buddy vs. people buddy.

I have been trying to train for the C25k with hubby, but he because he takes our son to baseball practices and we all go to the games, we are down to one day. So I have given up on him, and will train by myself.

Your Charley is so cute!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

That is one cute darn dog. I want a dog, a lot. Mark and I walk most mornings. It is beautiful here now and the sight of all this splendor blesses me for the rest of the day. I am so glad it is lighter now in the mornings. That walking in the frozen darkness was a pain. We are just getting into the bike riding. Uses way different muscles than walking. But hurts more when you fall.... Great funny post.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Your Charley is adorable...almost as cute as my Doglet! ;-)

Human workout buddies don't work great for me on everyday exercise -- it always seems to be (like Vickie said) an excuse not to go when they don't.

BUT, I am so with you on getting out there and doing activity exercise now that it's spring! I am walking a little bit each lunchtime when I can (the jasmine smells amazing out here right now) and biking and walking as much as I can instead of driving. We're even biking over to the inspection of our new home tomorrow! :-)

P.S. On the GI stuff -- try the oatmeal every day for breakfast with the stool softener at night. See what happens. So far so good with me and it really shows on the scale.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home