Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Morning meditations

My morning meditation reading included this statement:

"He who conquers himself is greater than he who conquers an entire city"

It also said:

"I have finally realized the great fact that all I have is now. This sweeps away all vain regret and it makes my thoughts of the future free of fear. Now is mine. I can do what I want with it."

I really like those quotes. The first one reminds me that I am the biggest problem I have right now. And the good news is, I can change. The second quote reminds me to stay in the here and now, and not be focused on what I may have done wrong last week, or even yesterday. And I don't have to project fearful worries about the future (something I seem to be prone to lately) because a solid right now, helps make a better future anyway. So today I am going to make a conscious effort to stay in the moment, focusing on what I am doing right now.

Right now my stomach is growling because I have not had breakfast yet. But for someone like me a growling stomach is a wonderful thing. It means I have waited to eat until I got hungry, for one thing. Right now I am making the choice to have a high protein low fat breakfast that I brought with me. I am prepared for the day. I feel pretty good right now, just a wee bit tired from staying up a little later to watch the baseball game last night. Today stretches out in front of me like a vast new opportunity. It's a rainy day, so it’s a nice day to be inside working. I like my new office and for today I am going to take notice of the things I like about my job rather than the things I don't.

I really appreciate people checking in on me, it makes me feel connected. And for someone prone to isolation, it is important to make and keep connections. In fact, right now I am making that a new goal: making and keeping connections with people. I like that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

I can't remember WHERE you are getting your meditation quotes???

12:21 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I go to Hazelton's website and they have a thought for the day from different books. It works out great for me. Here is a copy and paste of the url -
http://www.hazelden.org/servlet/hazelden/thoughts?cat_id=1920&page_id=25020

5:23 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

oops, that's Hazelden not Hazelton...

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home