Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Comfort of Tears




Sometimes I cannot cry. Sometimes I do not want to. But almost always a good cry brings a feeling of relief and comfort, eventually. It is a lot like the rain. Soothing, sometimes stormy, sometimes scary, but it will always pass.

I have been very emotional the past few days, for many reasons. Mother's day is my worst holiday by far. I never avoid sizing myself up and falling short each year. I wish I did not do it, and maybe someday I won't but this year was the worst. Maybe because my daughter, the one I am raising as a sober person, is older and she is separating from me, doing her teenage things. Maybe because I asked her to take a Friday night off from her social life and spend it at home, and she had a really bad reaction to it. I got my feelings hurt. I had this sick idea somewhere that I could redeem myself by raising her better than my boys. I had this idea hidden somewhere in me that my relationship with her somehow held the key to my redemption for what I did wrong with the other two. That unrealistic expectation was bound to burst some time. It did this week. I identified the false belief and I think I need another balloon because I have to let go of it now that I have acknowleged it's existence.

I did not want to write this. And I don't want it to be some tally sheet or confession of things gone wrong. Friday morning on the way to school we had yet another discussion of the impending Friday night. It did not go well and the slam of the car door was my goodbye. On my way to work I let myself feel sorry for myself and have all the "immature" self centered thoughts that were begging to be heard. I cried uncontrollably. I almost couldn't pull it together to order my frozen latte at the drive through but I did. I made it to work and hung on throughout the day. There just wasn't enough crying time to let it all out. But it needed and still needs to come out.

I need the relief and the sobbing and the tears. I need to feel the sadness even if I think it is immature, or silly or selfish. I need to just let it out without judgment. I feel peace after a good hard cry. I feel comforted even if I am alone. I feel the toxic, bottled up emotions flowing feely out of me. Maybe I will have another good cry sometime soon. Or maybe I will be able to journal some of these feelings that I did not want to admit I had. I hope so. I have a therapy appointment Monday. Maybe there. Maybe in bed when everyone's asleep.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vickie said...

If you didn't know - daughters are much harder - for many, many reasons than sons.

And I can see where you would have all kinds of hopes and redemptions pinned on this kid - we all do that - with each kid - thinking that we will do better than the last.

And you are very right - the learning to stand on their own feet and the importance of their friends - hard NOT to get your feelings hurt - much of the time.

Is she still going to her therapist too? I don't know if that would help or not - sometimes these things just have to be gotten through - and I think it comes in waves.

I try never to discuss anything in the morning - and I think that I have heard you say that too. I also try not to discuss anything on the way home from school (other than listening to them) nor before bed - no great time I guess.

If you have access to her - Dr Joy Browne is a comfort to listen to - she is out of NY - I actually listen to her out of a Canadian (AM) radio station that for some odd reason comes in very clearly. If you have access to her that might help. You don't even have to call in - such a variety of things are called in by others - that everything comes up.

Mother's Day is very hard for me too - as is my birthday. I identify with that totally.

No matter what we all have done, tried to do, we could have done better. And I think, that is hard to live with as a mom.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

While I'm not a mom (and won't be), I am a daughter and I know how challenging that mother/daughter relationship is. I feel for you. And I'm really glad you gave yourself the permission for that cry...there is nothing immature about that. Sending a hug...

11:20 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

I just love your posts. So honest and humble. I am not a fan of Mother's Day either, big surprise. Your daughter is young and dumb. Bear with her. She will grow up and be grateful to and for you. Take care.

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home