Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Tracking is Helping



I am feeling kind of blue this morning and easily overwhelmed and irritated. So I am taking a minute to see the good in what I have been trying to accomplish this past week.

I have been making and effort to make a daily food plan and then do some tracking of what I actually end up eating. I am not knocking myself out over it, but I am doing it. It is helping because I can see where certain foods keep me satisfied longer, and that helps me plan better, and know what to keep on hand. I don't feel I HAVE to track, but I want to, and that is the difference.
I used to use food plans and diaries eventually to beat myself up, and they just seemed like a record of my failure. Just like the scale, which I gave up for at least a year before I could have a healthy scale relationship, I gave up tracking and counting and even planning for a while. But I see the need for it when I get grossly off track, and I also think it is a great tool to use to get to know myself and what works for me. After I while I know what meals are within my limits, and I don't have to look up nutritional content, and calculate so much.

If I fall short of planning and tracking for a day, I don't jump into the wild side of the refrigerator or anything, I just pick it back up, and try to assess the missing day as best I can. I notice the scale is going down consistently in just the past week that I have been doing this. The extra calories are not sneaking in because I am more prepared. I feel better at the end of the day because I know what really happened. I tend to be somewhat of a blackout eater at times. Especially when there is a surge of emotions. I can have a hypnotic episode in the kitchen, and not even realize what I have done.

So for now, it is taking a little extra time, but it is worth it. So is the extra blogging time. I hope I can keep this up because then I can enter into new weight loss territory. And I'd like that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

Tracking. I have never done this. It just made me mad. I am beginning to see the value. Meatloaf, even the abstinent kind I make, is a trigger food. I didn't know that. A couple of nights ago I was so hungry after supper and could not figure out why. It happened again last night. What did the two nights have in common? Meatloaf. I think maybe soup does the same thing to me. This is extremely valuable info and I have been ignoring it. I know this is basic abstinent eating philosophy, figuring out trigger foods, but I guess I have never paid that close of attention before. Great post. Thanks

12:36 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Sometimes I don't like what I find out because I find out something I really like is triggering more eating. Then sometimes I find out I am no longer troubled by a certain food. I just try to pay attention and focus on what works good, and then keep doing it for a while. I have not been very consistent but even sporadic efforts have brought progress. I have trouble with meatloaf, too....

1:07 PM  
Blogger Honi said...

Much luck to you in reaching your goal... taking it one step at a time is always the best.. and a food log really does help keep things organized... much luck

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lori G. said...

Cindy, I'm so impressed with the work that you do in bagging your vegetables, precooking your ground turkey (do you season it or do it later?) and all of those things. You've motivated me tonight (it's Wed. at 9:30 eastern time) to get up and cut up my celery that's in the fridge.

I've been tracking with my WW etools what I've been eating and it's been a good idea to face up to what I've been doing. It's easy to rationalize (it's ONLY six ounces) but when you add the points (or calories, etc.) YIKES.

I know one of my triggers is cheese but Beula, you've reminded me that one of my comfort foods is ground beef. Meat loaf, hamburger....so thanks for your note.

Cindy, I hope the kids are better now.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Sometimes I season the meat. I just used some garlic this time. Depends on what I think I might do with it. I can always season later. I find evenings are the time I stray. I need something to do about the evenings..

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home