Thursday, May 31, 2007

Comparisons



I was reading an article and noticed that I weigh one pound less than this full grown panda bear. Even though the article was about the death of this bear raised in captivity and then turned loose into the wild, what I ended up taking away was a weight comparison. It's all about me, right? Last year when watching sports I used to compare my weight to the weights of the male athletes. I often weighed more than the baseball players, and as much as most of the football players, and, sadly, sometimes more. I don't know why I make these comparisons. But I do.

So I am adult panda bear size. Maybe that's better than being adult polar bear size. Panda bears are cute and cuddly. My daughter told me not long ago that I am not as cuddly as I was when I was the chubby cherub. But that's okay with us. I whine and complain less and rarely call myself fat. We like that better.

Comparisons can be dangerous. I try to avoid them. Maybe because in the past I have compared myself in ways that I did not "measure up" and today I seek better thoughts.

But what if the comparison is one where I come out ahead? Is that a good thing? I'm wondering. I know I like comparing my old self to the current me. So maybe self comparisons are useful.

I have not blogged in a while, almost a week. I am not sure why. I got busy and was not on the computer much. I was also frustrated because I overindulged over the weekend and did not want to talk about it. That's most likely the main reason.

On a positive note I am in a nice work-out routine at home. I am focusing on my arms and upper body right now because I believe they are the easiest to change. Also, my abs. I have a set routine for every other day with the weights and floor exercises. Then on the off day I want a cardio challenge. Yesterday it was the bike ride on my strenuous route around the neighborhood. The hills are a challenge. I feel a great sense of accomplishment afterward.

I did much better in the month of May than I did in April. (there I go comparing again..) I lost in May what I gained in April. I broke even and that's good enough for me. I adopted better habits, like tracking food intake, planning and preparing, exercising, and I was consistent. I had a purpose and stuck to it. I attended a couple of support groups and found one I want to attend regularly. There was more quiet time and meditation this month, and more blogging. Looking at my May 1st post I can say that I have implemented my plan. Perhaps June will be the month I push ahead and make the new numbers a regular part of the weigh-in. Positive thinking. I believe in it.

A few other pleasant observations - comparisons from last summer -

Amusement park rides were more comfortable on Saturday, and I did not have the fear of not fitting, or the bar not coming down, etc. And, at the water park, sitting on a lounge chair in my shorts and suit, my legs looked smaller, and a little more toned. It was nice. I did not get out of breath, and my feet did not feel bad after a long day of walking all over the park.

I also found a box of last year's summer clothes. My capri's are baggy, and FINALLY big in the waist. Last year they were getting loose in the legs and hips but the waist would not budge. Now they are too big all over. but I can still wear them, and most likely will for a while. I like the loose feeling. My shorts are also big in the waist (finally) - a wonderful treat for me. I have not tried everything on, but I imagine it will be a good experience. There is a difference, and a substantial one, even with just 20 pounds lost.

I am glad I took the time to write this post. It has improved my attitude and outlook already! I may weigh as much as the bear, but I certainly don't feel like one anymore.

5 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

I've been enjoying trying on stuff that was tight last summer too...it will be nice if I can feel comfy in shorts again this summer. :-) Glad you're back and feeling (comparatively!) good. ;-)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Lori G. said...

Ah, I wanted to go to an amusement park this summer. I thought some time ago that I'd be thinner and able to get into the rides and That Guy and his kids would go along with me. I'm thinner but not quite yet and not with That Guy.

You really have done a great job for May -- consistently exercising and setting up some challenges for yourself. So the food isn't that great (in your opinion) but you're taking care of yourself and noticing what bothers you AND just as importantly, what is going WELL with you too.

That's really awesome about your pants. See, you're making great progress in so many ways.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

That is so great that you lost the weight from April. June is balanced and with all you are doing, you will see a loss.

I hope you get to do your balloon letting go ceremony today.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

This blog cheered the heck out of me. "Same size as a panda," I'm still laughing.

12:45 PM  
Blogger FatMom said...

Ah, I do that comparison thing all the time! I do it with any athlete (because their weights are published for all to see), and I think: holy cow, I weigh as much as a BOXER (and not the "lightweight" ones, either!)
Congrats on the baggier clothes! Nice to breathe!!!

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home