Monday, August 14, 2006

The Physical Solution

Today is my one month weight recording day. I started this new way of life on July 15th, and I have lost ten pounds. It is amazing, especially since I had such a bumpy week last week. This is a good day to talk about the physical solution. Weight loss is part of the physical change brought about by the physical solution.

The physical solution involves the change in what and how much I eat. And planning menus is a huge part of that. It helps with grocery shopping and it helps me to stay within my guidelines. I used to plan very loosely. And at times not plan at all, and we would end up eating out. I ended up with the dreaded banana last week as a result of being unprepared at work. I find I am content to eat the "right" food if it is available. By avoiding the foods I know give me trouble I can stay "on the plan" easier and I feel better.

Also, by keeping track of what I eat each day I can look back and see what foods worked the best for keeping me fueled without feeling hungry, and what days I had cravings. That way I can better plan my future menus. I am new at this, so I need to experiment a little. And I may make some mistakes. But I am learning from them. The planning gets easier as time goes on. I may not always tally up calories but right now it is helping me find out how much I need. I like to have variety and not just eat the same foods each day. So I am finding, and inventing recipes that have the good foods in them.

Having the menus and sticking to them gives me a feeling of stability. I am staying in reality and not denying how much I had, or exaggerating either. It's getting to be kind of fun finding different things to prepare. And finding ways to eat some of what my daughter is having with a few modifications.

So, weight loss is great, and I want to lose weight, but more than that - this physical solution - stable eating - improves my state of mind and my health. I am building trust that I can recover from years of compulsive munching away at my problems.

Anyway, I am really happy to have a physical solution today. And I don't have to live in the physical problem - overeating, etc. - anymore! I have a better alternative. And it works.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cindy, you are really doing great. I admire your attitude.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Kyraylyn said...

Cindy,
Nice new look of your blog and I agree with the planning menus and 'stabilty' feeling. I usually plan our meals as a way to know what to shop for since I only go grocery shopping twice a month but it has had the added benefit of giving me that peace of mind to know what I am having, what's available in the fridge already. Then I am not coming home starving and grabbing anything, which usually turns out to be only carbs at that point.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home